Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Judo.

I've seen the light, and the light is judo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on the great love of my life, jiu jitsu-- but judo is something I need to add.

Tonight in comp class we did seoi nage rounds and it was incredible fun. So, I bring you these videos...

This first one is quality stuff, but I happen to like the music-- tacky I know, but my roommate for many years played a LOT of this game so it has positive connotations for me.

Damn! Check out the sacrifice throw at :15 -- craziness against a man wearing a gag? :35 another sacrifice at :44? incredible 1:24 then a single leg at 1:28 and 2:58 (wrestling in judo?) nice followup when the first didn't work 2:16 - and ultimately, I want to be the person in blue at 2:45...



What I like about this one, besides the fact that it's all Toshihiko Koga and virtually all seoi nage, is that they show most of them at real speed and then again slowed down so you can marvel at the wondrousness of it all. I am no judo expert of course, but I don't often see the grip setup for the seoi nage that I see here around 2:46... and what the heck is this at 3:54ish? and then the followup into a tap-winning choke around 5:10...



And here, a snip of a Koga seminar where he teaches a seoi nage, with translation alas in French.



Food for thought :)

Sweet... a flying armbar and the followup I see people doing after what I think are failed seoi nages. Not sure what it's called.

5 comments:

Meerkatsu said...

Agree wholeheartedly. Judo is the cool older brother of BJJ

Unknown said...

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know but Dave Camarillo combines the two arts so well, it's a thing of beauty.

Georgette said...

Yes! :-)

Rudy said...

I began to have a greater appreciation for my judo training the more involved I became with mma and jiu jitsu. It's such a technical stand up art in which one can learn an immense number of throws that translate nicely into a jits competition or an mma fight (I got all three of my mma fights to the ground using judo TRIPS of all things, since most mma fighters I've trained with and spoken to don't know the counters, not to mention the numerous free points I've won in jits competition using judo takedowns).

Although newaza (ground grappling) is practiced in judo, the focus in competition is on the throws and very little time is allowed once the competitors hit the mat. In this way, jiu jitsu is necessary for a judo pracitioner (although I think both arts are equally viable when used for self-defense purposes.

For whatever reason, Judo in the United States is looked at as an inferior art. I'm glad some jits people are starting to appreciate Judo.

Rudy said...

The strange move you see at the end of the last vid is called an osoto makikomi. the weirdness you see during koga's vid at 3:54 if a fake seoi nagi to a modified kouchi gake. The man is insane.