Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Crash bang.

Well, I had to bail on class last night. This brief I'm working on initially looked like it would take about a month but the deeper I get into it, the deeper I see I need to go, so I decided it was better to stay late and get more done.

This was unfortunate, because when Idid leave the office, I was rear-ended, on the entrance ramp to the highway.  Fortunately, I'm fine, more shaken up than anything though my neck was sore and I had a headache after (my teeth snapped together so hard!)  The poor guy behind me, he was so nice about it and very apologetic.. his airbag went off if that gives you any idea of how hard he hit me.  Good thing I had my foot on the brake, it kept me from slamming into the car in front of me.  And a witness stopped, gave me her name and contact info.  I drove home-- poor car, all bashed in and messed up.  Good thing he was insured.

Aaannnd... I'm kind of bummed out today, the latest efforts at getting me knocked up were less than successful ("as always," the little voice in my head goes.)  Went to the doctor's office this morning for a blood test because-- get this-- how evil?!?!-- I had a faint positive pregnancy test on Saturday morning... I tried very very hard not to get all excited, and just cool as a cucumber tested again that night (negative) and the next morning (negative) and Sunday night (negative) and yesterday... so on and so on... ultimately, I conclude that I had a bad test and it was an evaporation line (sorry if TMI!)  As I cha-chinged the blood test on my insurance card, more proof of my nonmother status was on the way (sorry if TMI again!).  My wonderful patient sweet husband... I'm not the googly-oogly type of girl who squeals at anything to do with babies, I am more curious about what kind of imp we together could create, and how much of my mom and dad will be passed into the future generation, and how nifty it would be to make a real live person.  I hope anyway!  So, I'm torn between making some real live chocolate chip cookie dough for dinner tonight, I know, bad bad bad, and eating slow cooker pot roast and cauliflower and kale tonight which actually sounds pretty good.

Hey, if the "good" food sounds just as good or better than the "bad" food, that's steps in the right direction, right?

OK- cheater/easy pot roast:

3 lb chuck roast
1 packet each-- brown gravy mix, ranch dressing mix, and Italian dressing mix
1 onion
1 c. water

Slice the onion, cover bottom of slow cooker with slices.  Put roast on top.  Mix 3 packets with 1 cup warm water, using a fork and trying to get it well blended.  Pour over roast; cook 8 hrs on low.

I know it sounds weird, but it's oh-so-good.  And if you can wait till the next day to eat it, you can lift off any fat which comes from the meat while it's still cold from the fridge.

 Pasta with roasted cauliflower, garlic and walnuts


Serves 4.  I actually prefer this without the pasta but if you do the pasta, this dish is best with short molded pasta, such as fusilli, campanelle, or orecchiette. The above photo is with campanelle.  Prepare the cauliflower for roasting after you put the garlic in the oven; this way, both should finish roasting at about the same time.

2 heads garlic , papery skins removed, top quarter of heads cut off and discarded
6 Tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
1head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds)
Salt and ground black pepper
1/4 tsp sugar
1 lb pasta
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 - 3 Tbsp juice from 1 lemon
1 Tbsp fresh parsley leaves , chopped
2 oz grated Parmesan (about 1 cup)
1/4 c chopped walnuts , toasted


1. Adjust oven rack to middle position, place large rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Cut one 12-inch sheet of foil and spread flat on counter. Place garlic heads, cut-side up, in center of foil. Drizzle 1/2 tsp oil over each head and seal packet. Place packet on oven rack and roast until garlic is very tender, about 40 minutes. Open packet and set aside to cool.
3. While garlic is roasting, trim outer leaves of cauliflower and cut stem flush with bottom. Cut head from pole to pole into 8 equal wedges. Place cauliflower in large bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper to taste, and sugar.
4. Remove baking sheet from oven. Carefully transfer cauliflower to baking sheet and spread into even layer, placing cut sides down. Return baking sheet to oven and roast until cauliflower is well browned and tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer cauliflower to cutting board. When cool enough to handle, chop into rough ½-inch pieces.
5. While cauliflower roasts, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta; cook until al dente. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves from their skins into small bowl. Using fork, mash garlic to smooth paste, then stir in red pepper flakes and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Slowly whisk in remaining 1/4 cup oil.
6. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking water, and return pasta to pot. Add chopped cauliflower to pasta; stir in garlic sauce, ¼ cup pasta cooking water, parsley, and ½ cup cheese. Adjust consistency with additional cooking water and season with salt, pepper, and additional lemon juice to taste. Serve immediately, sprinkling with remaining ½ cup cheese and toasted nuts.

3 comments:

Shark Girl said...

Glad you were not hurt. Sad your test is not positive. I'm rooting for you.

Anonymous said...

Tell the hubby to stop taking hot showers.
Glad you're not hurt.

Best of luck. :)

For what it's worth I haven't been able to read your blog in a while and it was refreshing to check it out again. I really like your writing!

-Alex

Joe Faz said...

Sorry to hear the test was negative. Ignore that little voice in your head unless it's saying positive things....